Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester to hire 5 more officers
Mayor Ted Gatsas announced the plan at Tuesday's meeting of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen, following a presentation in which Police Chief David Mara outlined his request for additional officers.
The presentation marked the first time that Mara made his staffing request explicit since new numbers confirmed that crime has surged over the past year, increasing 24 percent in 2013 over the previous year, led by a 46 percent jump in robberies.
Mara pointed out that calls for service increased 6 percent from 2012 to 2013, and 12 percent over the past decade.
"We're going to keep advocating for more police, but we also have to understand the budgetary constraints," he said. "But as the chief of police, my job is to inform aldermen and the public what the needs are."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
- Three-alarm fire heavily damages Franklin store - 0
- 74-year-old woman suffers serious injuries in hit-and-run incident in Windham - 0
- Grandmother charged in ATV crash with tot - 1
- ATV flips in Alton with 3-year-old on board - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Nashua man accused of cutting wife’s throat committed to psychiatric hospital - 1
- Two may have stabbed each other in Concord parking garage incident, police say - 0
- Manchester joyride in a stolen truck lands two in handcuffs - 0
- High School Football Power Poll: Some shuffling in the middle - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Pamela Diamantis: USNH’s tuition freeze offer is good for NH’s future - 1
- Crosstown Variety Store robbed in Manchester - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance