HUDSON - Students at Nottingham West Elementary School were evacuated from the building Wednesday morning after staff members reported a gas odor.
After a lengthy investigation by local fire crews and the district's gas company, the odor's source was determined to come from a malfunction in the building's kitchen.
School officials said the problem was fixed by late afternoon Wednesday, and the elementary school, located at 10 Pelham Road, would resume normal activities on Thursday.
The students and staff were bused to Alvirne High School shortly before 10 a.m. Wednesday, and classes and lunch were held in the gymnasium for the remainder of the day.
Midterm exams are being held at the high school this week, leaving plenty of room for the additional students, officials said.
All afterschool activities at the elementary school were canceled Wednesday.