Martin Luther King Jr. Day is today
Liz Walker, now the pastor of Roxbury Presbyterian Church in Boston, speaks to the crowd after Saturday's 32nd annual MLK celebration at First Baptist Church of Nashua. (BARBARA TAORMINA PHOTO)
“They are words of inspiration that feed our minds and souls and hearts,” said Lozeau.
Walker said Americans tend to do everything to excess, a characteristic that actually works in the case of love.
Walker’s father was also a minister. She grew up in a church-centered home but said her vision of the role of faith changed after watching and listening to King.
Since the start, music has played a key role in the First Baptist MLK celebrations. On Saturday, the New Hampshire Gay Men Chorus was scheduled to perform, but the group got caught in a Manchester snow jam. There were still plenty of high notes from the First Baptist Church Choir, the New Fellowship Baptist Church Gospel Choir, and soloists Julia Leonard and Sophia White.
For Walker, King’s message of equality, understanding and respect is essential for a world that faces a critical choice between division or unity.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: History has a way of repeating itself, and we are doing that with a second 'Memories' book - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Those who do so much good for NH often go unnoticed and unrecognized - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Getting it right with kids, the comics and the rest of the paper - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Marmaduke's back — and so's Seinfeld - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Nothing Goofy about a kick in the seat - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Yanks' pitcher could have used AG's help - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: '3-G' may go, but 'Memories 2' is coming - 1
- Joe McQuaid - Publisher's Notebook: Veteran newsman Toole returning to fold - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release