Snow gives drivers fits, cuts power to 5,300
Joanie Moniz clears off her car on Perdue Street in Manchester on Saturday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
It was one of dozens of snow-triggered accidents in the state, officials said, and several thousand homes and businesses lost power.
State highway department staff arrived to plow the bridge, allowing drivers to move their stranded vehicles about an hour later, according to Morin.
One person was injured in a crash on Kimball Hill Road, and about six vehicles were off the roadway in that same area, said Morin.
As conditions continued to deteriorate because of the snow, emergency officials were urging motorists to stay off the roadways if possible.
Driving was slow-going in many parts Saturday.
Manchester police were responding to seven accidents at one time, Russo said early Saturday afternoon.The F.E. Everett Turnpike also had multiple cars off the road, state police said.
The accidents are "due to the slippery conditions and icy roads," Malsbury said.
"Crews started getting called out at around 9 a.m. and have been out there plowing and treating the roads," Boynton said. "Conditions vary, with some roads snow covered and some with wet and bare pavement. Adding to the challenge, according to our traffic management center, is that traffic is pretty heavy on some roads."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Concord postpones fireworks to Saturday - 0
- LIghtning strike sends Epping house up in flames - 0
- Weather warnings push fireworks to Saturday in Rochester - 0
- Threat of thunderstorms pushes Dover fireworks to Sunday - 0
- Weather could lead to fireworks postponement in Salem - 0
- Some damage, no injuries when more than 7 inches of rain falls on Lost River area - 0
- Campers stranded, roads damaged in Woodstock downpour - 0
- Slow but sweet start for strawberries and most other NH summer crops - 0
- Fire caused by lightning leaves family homeless, dozens without water in Sunapee - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester woman suffers injuries in dragging incident - 0
- Judge orders fired Manchester officer back to jail to finish sentence - 4
- Claremont police dispatcher charged with sex assault and incest, placed on leave - 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform