Home » News » Public Safety
Varney Street residents evacuated after car hits gas line
MANCHESTER — Police said there were no injuries when a vehicle struck a house on Varney Street just after 5 a.m. Wednesday, but the residents were evacuated as a precaution because of damage to a gas line.
Police Lt. Maureen Tessier said the gas was quickly shut off and residents were allowed to return. Tessier said there was no structural damage to the house, which was struck on the west side where the gas and electrical lines were located.
She said a 2006 Chevy Impala driven by Deborah Clark, 52, of 9 Pinard St., slid on ice as Clark was negotiating a turn and went over a snowbank and hit the house. The vehicle had to be towed from the scene. No summons was issued, although Tessier said Clark likely was driving too fast for conditions.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 1
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'