Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests petition: Hold off on wind project
Atlantic Wind, LLC and its parent company, Iberdrola Renewables of Spain, are seeking approval from the state's Site Evaluation Committee for the 75.9-megawatt, 23-turbine Wild Meadows project. Company officials say it will produce enough energy to power 30,000 average homes each year and 90,000 homes at peak production.
"Iberdrola has signed a fifteen-year contract under which all of the energy generated by the Wild Meadows Wind Project will be sold to Massachusetts utilities, and all or most will be used to satisfy the requirements of the Renewable Portfolio Standard in Massachusetts, not New Hampshire," it states. "... New Hampshire will bear all of the environmental, economic, and other impacts of the Wild Meadows Wind Project, primarily in Danbury, Alexandria, and the Newfound Lake Region ... suspending consideration of the Wild Meadows Wind Project until after the SB 99 process is complete would be in the public interest."
"We just received the motion at the end of the week, and once we've had a chance to thoroughly review, we will respond accordingly," said Iberdrola's Paul Copleman.
The Wild Meadows Legal Fund, a group of landowners in the Newfound Lake that formed to oppose Wild Meadows, said the petition "makes great sense." The fund filed a similar motion, said member Bill Everett of Hebron.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Newbies welcome on NH slopes - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 37
- Thomas Sowell: The legal system exists to prevent mob 'justice' - 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 22
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- New Hampshire police part of funeral for slain NYC officer - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released