Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests petition: Hold off on wind project
Atlantic Wind, LLC and its parent company, Iberdrola Renewables of Spain, are seeking approval from the state's Site Evaluation Committee for the 75.9-megawatt, 23-turbine Wild Meadows project. Company officials say it will produce enough energy to power 30,000 average homes each year and 90,000 homes at peak production.
"Iberdrola has signed a fifteen-year contract under which all of the energy generated by the Wild Meadows Wind Project will be sold to Massachusetts utilities, and all or most will be used to satisfy the requirements of the Renewable Portfolio Standard in Massachusetts, not New Hampshire," it states. "... New Hampshire will bear all of the environmental, economic, and other impacts of the Wild Meadows Wind Project, primarily in Danbury, Alexandria, and the Newfound Lake Region ... suspending consideration of the Wild Meadows Wind Project until after the SB 99 process is complete would be in the public interest."
"We just received the motion at the end of the week, and once we've had a chance to thoroughly review, we will respond accordingly," said Iberdrola's Paul Copleman.
The Wild Meadows Legal Fund, a group of landowners in the Newfound Lake that formed to oppose Wild Meadows, said the petition "makes great sense." The fund filed a similar motion, said member Bill Everett of Hebron.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Hassan was right: 'Bullying' bill goes too far - 11
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 29
- Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.? - 6
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
- NH's 9/11 victims: We cannot forget - 0
- Celebrating Stark: And America, in Manchester - 0
- NH's Obamabots: Taking their cues from party bosses - 57
- Spending & voting: MayDay's wasted money - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 0
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 0
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
- Pirates stay hot, blank Red Sox - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua - 1
- NHIAA Golf: Crusaders teeing up special year - 0
- New Nashua computer curriculum stresses exam, lifetime skills - 0
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
USNH's raw deal: Part deux
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Labor fines proposed on school project