Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests petition: Hold off on wind project
Atlantic Wind, LLC and its parent company, Iberdrola Renewables of Spain, are seeking approval from the state's Site Evaluation Committee for the 75.9-megawatt, 23-turbine Wild Meadows project. Company officials say it will produce enough energy to power 30,000 average homes each year and 90,000 homes at peak production.
"Iberdrola has signed a fifteen-year contract under which all of the energy generated by the Wild Meadows Wind Project will be sold to Massachusetts utilities, and all or most will be used to satisfy the requirements of the Renewable Portfolio Standard in Massachusetts, not New Hampshire," it states. "... New Hampshire will bear all of the environmental, economic, and other impacts of the Wild Meadows Wind Project, primarily in Danbury, Alexandria, and the Newfound Lake Region ... suspending consideration of the Wild Meadows Wind Project until after the SB 99 process is complete would be in the public interest."
"We just received the motion at the end of the week, and once we've had a chance to thoroughly review, we will respond accordingly," said Iberdrola's Paul Copleman.
The Wild Meadows Legal Fund, a group of landowners in the Newfound Lake that formed to oppose Wild Meadows, said the petition "makes great sense." The fund filed a similar motion, said member Bill Everett of Hebron.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua assessment tests miss the mark - 1
- St. A's board of trustees responds to criticism of graduation change - 2
- Officials proposing cutting Derry school budget by $1.4 million - 0
- St. Anselm in a stir over graduation date change - 13
- Nashua schools struggle to find more time for middle-school math - 0
- Former Gov. Lynch chosen for PSU Robert Frost award - 0
- Keene State College gets funding to further biology research - 0
- Anti-bully message on display at Pinkerton - 0
- 'Hour of Code' events get students interested in computer programming - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
- Strong start lifts Bedford to win - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
A new era for Nashua's police force
Cyber security a fear in NH, too
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
Haylee Ann-Marie Patten