Hopkinton freshman, the December Francis Wayland Parker Scholar, likes taking initiative
Molnar was selected as the December Francis Wayland Parker Scholar of the Month, earning the designation with the first essay he sent into the competition.
"I figured I had a shot at it, but I'm still surprised that I won," Molnar said.
Molnar wrote that he believed Parker, a Bedford native who revolutionized education in the 19th century by steering students away from rote memorization and into interactive teaching methods, would be impressed by his school's efforts to encourage students to take more initiative in their own education.
Despite having a 4.0 average, Molnar is no bookworm. The freshman is a three-sport athlete. He's a wing on the high school varsity hockey team, plays soccer in the fall and runs long-distance races for the track team in the spring.With his selection as the December scholar, Molnar is contending for the annual Scholar of the Year honor.
Lilly Friedman, Plymouth Regional High School; Colleen Minnihan, ConVal Regional High School; Lauren Petrello, Manchester High School West; Sare Campbell, Moultonborough Academy and Katherine Frederick from Sunapee Middle High School.
READER COMMENTS: 22
- Alternative routes being laid out for gas pipeline expansion - 1
- NH gas pipeline expansion pushed - 13
- PSNH discount carries a cost: Loyal customers pay more, those who switch offered lower rate - 7
- Wind company’s tower permit delayed again - 3
- Protesters decry 4.2-cent increase to statewide gas tax - 0
- New Hampshire motorists decry hike in fuel tax - 26
- UPDATED: Power restored after 2,000 customers go without in Manchester's downtown - 0
- Company behind Groton wind plant promotes emergency plan - 0
- Citizens protest Hollis pipeline as town awaits project details - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Portland Sea Dogs get past NH Fisher Cats in righty’s first AA start of season - 0
- Keene Swamp Bats edge Sanford in NECBL action - 0
- Manchester's Hanover St. block party kicks off block party season - 0
- Little, MacDonald 1-2 in wild K&N 100 in Loudon - 0
- Kyle Busch focused leading up to Camping World RV Sales 301 - 0
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Hosts hoping for extended Little League district final - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much?
Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms