Ice jams lead to Pemigewasset flood warning
The warning is the result of an ice jam on the Pemigewasset River. A flood warning is issued when conditions mean flooding should be considered imminent.
On Sunday morning, the Pemigewasset River reached a height of 15.2 feet, which is 13 feet above flood stage.
Ice jams are difficult to forecast, the Weather Service said, because they could break up at any time and create another flooding situation further downstream.
Police in Plymouth report no flooding problems. However, the flood warning means residents are cautioned to move to higher ground if threatened by flood waters and to not drive vehicles into areas covered by water, since the underlying roadway may have been washed away.
The flood warning for the Pemigewasset near Plymouth is in effect until this evening.
An earlier flood warning for the Pemigewasset near Woodstock was canceled Sunday morning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Storm expected to take biggest toll in northern part of state - 0
- Central part of state biggest area of concern in storm - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Powerful storm lashes eastern U.S. with snow, arctic cold - 0
- Forecasters say true to form, March will come in like a lion - 0
- NWS: North Country flooding risk near normal for now - 0
- Device may help solve weighty problem - 0
- Frequent snowstorms taking a toll on Manchester's plowing budget - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- A second chance: Manchester hasn't won Hooksett yet - 0
- Calling Deep Throat: Where is Obama's Mark Felt? - 0
- Monarchs know there's always room for improvement - 0
- Student artwork on display in Derry for PTA's Reflections - 0
- Town, school budgets approved in Amherst - 0
- Wilton-Lyndeborough elementary school merger plan passes - 0
- Hollis voters approve all warrant articles - 0
- Div. I Girls' Basketball: Bedford advances to final with ease - 0
- Boys' Hockey: Souhegan, John Stark-Hopkinton advance in Div. III - 0
Two officers pinpointed in Weare shooting
Town, school budgets approved in Amherst
Hollis voters approve all warrant articles
Rochester firm is ready to add jobs
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run