Ice jams lead to Pemigewasset flood warning
The warning is the result of an ice jam on the Pemigewasset River. A flood warning is issued when conditions mean flooding should be considered imminent.
On Sunday morning, the Pemigewasset River reached a height of 15.2 feet, which is 13 feet above flood stage.
Ice jams are difficult to forecast, the Weather Service said, because they could break up at any time and create another flooding situation further downstream.
Police in Plymouth report no flooding problems. However, the flood warning means residents are cautioned to move to higher ground if threatened by flood waters and to not drive vehicles into areas covered by water, since the underlying roadway may have been washed away.
The flood warning for the Pemigewasset near Plymouth is in effect until this evening.
An earlier flood warning for the Pemigewasset near Woodstock was canceled Sunday morning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerful storm lashes eastern U.S. with snow, arctic cold - 0
- Forecasters say true to form, March will come in like a lion - 0
- NWS: North Country flooding risk near normal for now - 0
- Device may help solve weighty problem - 0
- Frequent snowstorms taking a toll on Manchester's plowing budget - 1
- After-school activities canceled in New Boston, Goffstown and Dunbarton - 0
- Pembroke extends parking ban - 0
- Latest storm will make it a short day for many students - 3
- Here we go again... Fast-moving storm headed to Granite State - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus