Ice jams lead to Pemigewasset flood warning
The warning is the result of an ice jam on the Pemigewasset River. A flood warning is issued when conditions mean flooding should be considered imminent.
On Sunday morning, the Pemigewasset River reached a height of 15.2 feet, which is 13 feet above flood stage.
Ice jams are difficult to forecast, the Weather Service said, because they could break up at any time and create another flooding situation further downstream.
Police in Plymouth report no flooding problems. However, the flood warning means residents are cautioned to move to higher ground if threatened by flood waters and to not drive vehicles into areas covered by water, since the underlying roadway may have been washed away.
The flood warning for the Pemigewasset near Plymouth is in effect until this evening.
An earlier flood warning for the Pemigewasset near Woodstock was canceled Sunday morning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
- Concord postpones fireworks to Saturday - 0
- LIghtning strike sends Epping house up in flames - 0
- Weather warnings push fireworks to Saturday in Rochester - 0
- Threat of thunderstorms pushes Dover fireworks to Sunday - 0
- Weather could lead to fireworks postponement in Salem - 0
- Some damage, no injuries when more than 7 inches of rain falls on Lost River area - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 0
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's