Ice jams lead to Pemigewasset flood warning
The warning is the result of an ice jam on the Pemigewasset River. A flood warning is issued when conditions mean flooding should be considered imminent.
On Sunday morning, the Pemigewasset River reached a height of 15.2 feet, which is 13 feet above flood stage.
Ice jams are difficult to forecast, the Weather Service said, because they could break up at any time and create another flooding situation further downstream.
Police in Plymouth report no flooding problems. However, the flood warning means residents are cautioned to move to higher ground if threatened by flood waters and to not drive vehicles into areas covered by water, since the underlying roadway may have been washed away.
The flood warning for the Pemigewasset near Plymouth is in effect until this evening.
An earlier flood warning for the Pemigewasset near Woodstock was canceled Sunday morning.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Windy weather whips across New Hampshire - 0
- Leaks fixed, visits resume at Goffstown women's prison - 0
- Storm brings heavy rain, flooding to southern NH - 0
- UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison - 2
- Summit of Mount Washington white with rime ice, snow to follow soon - 0
- Storms in Meredith cause outages - 0
- USGS reports minor earthquake just outside of Concord - 0
- Quake strikes northeast of Tokyo, no reports of serious damage - 0
- Hollis storm damage caused by microburst, not tornado - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Keene State student charged, three new arrest warrants issued in wake of pumpkin riot - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 0
- Winning $100,000 lottery ticket sold in Laconia - 0
- Monarchs Scouting Report: Nick Shore - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 7
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 7
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.