Home » News » Public Safety
Heavy rain to follow morning of icy roads and accidents
“It’s like bumper cars out there this morning,” Manchester police Sgt. Craig Russo said. “People sliding everywhere.” He said there were probably a dozen or more accidents between 5 a.m. and 9 a.m.
In Wakefield, authorities said a section of the Spaulding Turnpike was closed due to a serious crash mid-morning Saturday. Police didn’t know which direction was shuttered or how long it would be closed.
A freezing rain advisory, lifted in southern area, is in effect until 1 p.m. for most of the state, the notable exceptions being Hillsborough and Cheshire counties.
The National Weather Service also posted a flood watch that goes into effect Saturday afternoon across the entire state, lasting into Sunday, as forecasters expect 1 to 2 inches of rain. Temperatures are expected to rise to around 50 Saturday.
“The heavy rainfall and mild temperatures may lead to ice jams, which could cause flooding,” the weather service said. “The threat of ice jams will continue into Sunday as temperatures will remain above freezing.”
Flooding also is possible in urban and poor-drainage areas.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 39
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads