Home » News » Public Safety
Wolfeboro hiker injured in 100-foot fall
James Nupp, 64, was hiking what is known as "Shoestring Gully" with a friend when he slipped and fell around noon Friday, sustaining multiple injuries that left him unable to walk. Another ice climber who was above Nupp on the route witnessed the fall and then climbed higher into the gully to find cell service to call 911, according to Fish and Game.
About a dozen volunteers from the Mountain Rescue Service helped five conservation officers from Fish and Game carry Nupp safely down three quarters of a mile of very steep and icy terrain, authorities said.
Rescuers reached a waiting ambulance along Route 302 at about 5:30 p.m. Nupp was transported to Memorial Hospital in North Conway for further evaluation and treatment.
Fish and Game reminds people to pack appropriate clothing and equipment while hiking. Hikes often take longer than anticipated and weather is unpredictable. Having appropriate gear aides in safety. More information is available at www.hikesafe.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 1
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
- Rimmon Heights honors Manchester Community Policing Division - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate