Home » News » Public Safety
Wolfeboro hiker injured in 100-foot fall
James Nupp, 64, was hiking what is known as "Shoestring Gully" with a friend when he slipped and fell around noon Friday, sustaining multiple injuries that left him unable to walk. Another ice climber who was above Nupp on the route witnessed the fall and then climbed higher into the gully to find cell service to call 911, according to Fish and Game.
About a dozen volunteers from the Mountain Rescue Service helped five conservation officers from Fish and Game carry Nupp safely down three quarters of a mile of very steep and icy terrain, authorities said.
Rescuers reached a waiting ambulance along Route 302 at about 5:30 p.m. Nupp was transported to Memorial Hospital in North Conway for further evaluation and treatment.
Fish and Game reminds people to pack appropriate clothing and equipment while hiking. Hikes often take longer than anticipated and weather is unpredictable. Having appropriate gear aides in safety. More information is available at www.hikesafe.com.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire