Home » News » Public Safety
Wolfeboro hiker injured in 100-foot fall
James Nupp, 64, was hiking what is known as "Shoestring Gully" with a friend when he slipped and fell around noon Friday, sustaining multiple injuries that left him unable to walk. Another ice climber who was above Nupp on the route witnessed the fall and then climbed higher into the gully to find cell service to call 911, according to Fish and Game.
About a dozen volunteers from the Mountain Rescue Service helped five conservation officers from Fish and Game carry Nupp safely down three quarters of a mile of very steep and icy terrain, authorities said.
Rescuers reached a waiting ambulance along Route 302 at about 5:30 p.m. Nupp was transported to Memorial Hospital in North Conway for further evaluation and treatment.
Fish and Game reminds people to pack appropriate clothing and equipment while hiking. Hikes often take longer than anticipated and weather is unpredictable. Having appropriate gear aides in safety. More information is available at www.hikesafe.com.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 1
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 7
- Family of slain journalist James Foley calls for more action to save others - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A short history of the spice trade - 0
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist