Developer says foes won't deter wind power project
Danbury selectmen said the ballot results of a vote taken last month would set the town's stance on the project. The count Wednesday night showed 249 residents opposed to the project and 116 residents in favor it.
But officials from Iberdrola Renewables aren't taking the Danbury vote as a sign that the town opposes Wild Meadows. The ballots went to 790 registered voters in town, and fewer than half responded.
Iberdrola and its local company, Atlantic Wind, don't need agreement from residents or the governments of the two towns to build. The authority for the project's permit rests with the state's Site Evaluation Committee, though the company is seeking local cooperation.
Selectmen from nearby towns also voiced their towns' opposition to the project at the Alexandria selectmen's meeting Tuesday night, and offered support to Danbury and Alexandria.
The towns will be able to comment during the yearlong SEC process for the project, state officials said, each with "a seat at the table" of the discussions and at SEC-sponsored local hearings.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Poll: More than 25% haven't heard of Northern Pass; mixed attitudes for others - 15
- Berlin BioPower plant coming up to speed - 18
- Alexandria support for wind farm not strong, officials say - 3
- Third wind farm company withdraws leases for Newfound-area project - 8
- NH officials again request options for Northern Pass path - 23
- Legislator calls for closing of Groton wind farm - 16
- PUC report says PSNH should sell its plants and the public should pay - 20
- Report on PSNH power plants heartens utility's competitors - 0
- NH high court to hear arguments on valuation of crude oil pipeline - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire