Developer says foes won't deter wind power project
Danbury selectmen said the ballot results of a vote taken last month would set the town's stance on the project. The count Wednesday night showed 249 residents opposed to the project and 116 residents in favor it.
But officials from Iberdrola Renewables aren't taking the Danbury vote as a sign that the town opposes Wild Meadows. The ballots went to 790 registered voters in town, and fewer than half responded.
Iberdrola and its local company, Atlantic Wind, don't need agreement from residents or the governments of the two towns to build. The authority for the project's permit rests with the state's Site Evaluation Committee, though the company is seeking local cooperation.
Selectmen from nearby towns also voiced their towns' opposition to the project at the Alexandria selectmen's meeting Tuesday night, and offered support to Danbury and Alexandria.
The towns will be able to comment during the yearlong SEC process for the project, state officials said, each with "a seat at the table" of the discussions and at SEC-sponsored local hearings.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 3
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
- Jonah Goldberg : Let the market punish intolerant retailers - 0
- Eric Mommsen: Working with young people has brought joy, purpose to my life - 0
- Pat Buchanan: Intervene? Or end Syrian War? - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Senate approves parental rights bill - 0
- Senate passes Medicaid expansion on bipartisan vote - 1
- Raymond police investigating thefts of cord wood - 0
- House kills suicide-related bills - 1
- Staples to shut 225 stores as online competition hurts sales - 0
- Pelham police arrest Mass. man near scene of thefts from cars - 0
- UPDATE: Boscawen police have two men in custody - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 0
House votes for cellphone ban while driving