Wintery weather mix forces cancellation of state Veterans Cemetery wreath pickup
Mike Horne, director of the New Hampshire Veterans Cemetery, demonstrates why the cemetery has canceled this week's planned removal of wreaths from gravesites. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
Wreaths are removed from the grave sites and disposed of, Horne said. This is the first time it's been cancelled.
In some cases, they are frozen to the stones themselves.
The wreaths are laid against the gravestones each year by the Blue Star Mothers, a group supporting veteran causes. In line with the procedure at Arlington National Cemetery in Washington, D.C., one-fourth of the more than 4,000 graves at the cemetery are decorated with the wreaths each year on a rotation schedule.
But the pickup of the wreaths will have to wait.
"The rain we had seeped down through the snow and froze many of them. If it had stayed just powder snow, we would have been all right," he said. "There are safety issues as well, it's slippery out there."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release