Wintery weather mix forces cancellation of state Veterans Cemetery wreath pickup
Mike Horne, director of the New Hampshire Veterans Cemetery, demonstrates why the cemetery has canceled this week's planned removal of wreaths from gravesites. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
Wreaths are removed from the grave sites and disposed of, Horne said. This is the first time it's been cancelled.
In some cases, they are frozen to the stones themselves.
The wreaths are laid against the gravestones each year by the Blue Star Mothers, a group supporting veteran causes. In line with the procedure at Arlington National Cemetery in Washington, D.C., one-fourth of the more than 4,000 graves at the cemetery are decorated with the wreaths each year on a rotation schedule.
But the pickup of the wreaths will have to wait.
"The rain we had seeped down through the snow and froze many of them. If it had stayed just powder snow, we would have been all right," he said. "There are safety issues as well, it's slippery out there."
READER COMMENTS: 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads