Alexandria selectmen vote to oppose wind farm proposal
At a gathering Tuesday night of about 75 people from Alexandria and neighboring towns called by selectmen, one person spoke in favor of Wild Meadows, which Spanish wind giant Iberdrola Renewables wants to build in town and in neighboring Danbury. More than 20 residents spoke against the project, many to loud applause, saying the turbines would ruin property values, the local tourism industry, and the overall quality of life in town.
“What more do you need?” selectmen were asked by several speakers, though board members didn’t immediately answer.
“I would,” echoed Selectman George Tuthill.
Selectman Ken Hall did not agree, saying he was trying to stay “neutral” on the issue. But when pressured by residents about his responsibility as their representative, he agreed that selectmen would voice the town’s opposition to the project when meeting with the state’s Site Evaluation Committee, the approval authority for such projects.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release