Report: NH health care professionals need to improve veterans' care
"Stigma is synonymous with disgrace, dishonor and shame," reads some of the strongest language of the report. Stigma, the report recommends, must be attacked with education, compassion and accessible health care.
The commission plans to present the report to Gov. Maggie Hassan on Friday. On Jan. 16, it will be the subject of an afternoon presentation at the Legislative Office Building that is scheduled to include New Hampshire Adjutant Gen. William Reddel and other military and civilian leaders.
She said New Hampshire is the only state in the country with such a position.
Moncher said the commission will support legislation to give it permanent status so its work can continue when it comes to fighting the stigma of the battlefield diseases, educating health care providers about military culture, and building a continuum of care between military and civilian programs.
And the report recommends that all health care providers ask new patients if they have served in the military.
READER COMMENTS: 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads