Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Smaug? Desolation? Movie offers plenty of time to think (about something else)
She said we were going to see something called the "Desolation of Smog.''
Turns out, I had the spelling wrong. It's actually "Smaug'' in the movie and it is a dragon. Smaug has a lot of gold; and some little people, including one with some sort of Habit (it wasn't clear what), are trying to take the gold.
Then it occurred to me that I should only make resolutions that I can keep. So I have also resolved:
To give up smoking.
To read good books.
Not to text while driving (and especially not to do so while putting or hitting out of a bunker).
To spend more time with Ike, Mike, and Spike (and to refrain from picking up Spike. He is killing my back).
I owe the mayor for some long-forgotten wager. I don't mind paying. It should help me with my second resolution.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- City budget talk: How about solutions instead? - 0
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 6
- Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start - 7
- IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 12
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 5
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare