State's deep freeze blamed for fire, wet dogs
A landlord attempting to thaw frozen pipes with a propane torch sparked a fire that chased two families from a century-old home at 5 Mt. Pleasant St. in Derry Saturday morning, officials said.
It took firefighters about an hour to bring the fire, reported shortly before 9 a.m., under control. Fire damage was limited mostly to the structure itself, and residents were able to recover most of their belongings.
Thirteen other dogs had to be evacuated from the Manchester Animal Shelter on Friday after a frozen pipe burst in the ceiling, sending water and debris into the kennel area below.
"Water was pouring into the kennel. All the dogs were soaked.... All the bedding was soaked, all the food, the leashes.
The dog hit by the tile was a large Anatolian shepherd mix named Hefty, who wasn't hurt, she said.
Two dogs that were in the process of being adopted went to their adoptive homes early; three others went to foster homes. And three dogs that were being held in quarantine for Manchester police were taken by Londonderry police department, Ewell said.
The shelter's cats are in a different room and were not affected by the incident, Ewell said.
City workers are expected back at the shelter on Monday to repair the damage. Ewell said FMAS would welcome dog beds, blankets, leashes and collars as well as monetary donations to replace what was lost.
Concord reached minus 17, shy of the record low for the date - minus 23 - set in 1904.
Simpson said the cold will return Monday night, but won't be as severe. "Close but no cigar," he said. Today's forecast isn't in the clear, however. The National Weather Service has issued a freezing-rain advisory for Cheshire and Hillsborough counties from 4 p.m. today through 5 a.m. Monday.