Home » News » Weather » Storm Blog
Coastal flooding forces road closures
At Hampton Beach, storm surge flooded Ashworth Ave and a number of side streets. (John Kane/Hampton Beach Village District)
Astronomical high tides combined with the powerful ocean storm to create a mess on Route 1A in Hampton, North Hampton and Rye around the time of high tide.
In Rye, a car became stuck in the flooding on Route 1A near Rye Harbor State Park, but the driver was rescued and the car was towed away.
The fire department was called in and used one of its trucks to reach the driver. His car was later towed out of the water.
Crews also had to make repairs to the Foss Beach seawall in Rye. The seawall is a shale pile that was damaged by wind and water splashing over and through it, Walsh said.
Snow banks blocked the floodwater from receding and caused some of it to drain differently, he said.
Sullivan said it would take several hours for the water to recede.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Groton Wind farm operator agrees to meet state demands - 1
- Concern grows over Hollis portion of proposed gas pipeline - 0
- Poll: More than 25% haven't heard of Northern Pass; mixed attitudes for others - 15
- Berlin BioPower plant coming up to speed - 18
- Alexandria support for wind farm not strong, officials say - 3
- Third wind farm company withdraws leases for Newfound-area project - 8
- NH officials again request options for Northern Pass path - 23
- Legislator calls for closing of Groton wind farm - 16
- PUC report says PSNH should sell its plants and the public should pay - 20
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fire destroys Weare home - 0
- High winds cause power outages, fan fires across state - 0
- Downed wires spark brush fire that spreads to Manchester house - 0
- Fugitive nabbed as he checks out the weather - 0
- Bail set for TD Bank robbery suspect in Derry - 1
- Fetal homicide bill stopped in the Senate - 0
- Democrats worry about 'dirty tricks' - 0
- Truck pulls down power line, starts paint store blaze - 0
- No change in bail for Dover teen facing felony arson charge - 1
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Michigan’s ban: Sotomayor’s ‘disadvantages’