Home » News » Weather » Storm Blog
Coastal flooding forces road closures
At Hampton Beach, storm surge flooded Ashworth Ave and a number of side streets. (John Kane/Hampton Beach Village District)
Astronomical high tides combined with the powerful ocean storm to create a mess on Route 1A in Hampton, North Hampton and Rye around the time of high tide.
In Rye, a car became stuck in the flooding on Route 1A near Rye Harbor State Park, but the driver was rescued and the car was towed away.
The fire department was called in and used one of its trucks to reach the driver. His car was later towed out of the water.
Crews also had to make repairs to the Foss Beach seawall in Rye. The seawall is a shale pile that was damaged by wind and water splashing over and through it, Walsh said.
Snow banks blocked the floodwater from receding and caused some of it to drain differently, he said.
Sullivan said it would take several hours for the water to recede.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Alternative energy vehicles rule Mount Washington Auto road - 0
- Natural gas pipeline still holds promise for Groveton - 1
- Bird causes Concord-area power outage Monday - 0
- Swanzey solar array should be completed by end of 2014 - 1
- New Londonderry transmission line project will add 60 more utility poles - 0
- 'Northern Trespass' film to be screened in Nashua on Thursday night - 0
- Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America - 0
- Ayotte says Northern Pass lines should be buried beneath roads - 12
- Tariffs tabled in state energy talks - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Every vote counts: Here is the proof