Vatican expert to shares travel tales in Londonderry
Stangel, a native of California who moved to New Hampshire with his wife, Audrey, in the early 1990s, said introducing audiences to the many works of art housed in the Vatican Museum never gets old.
"Those were the years I'd spend between 250 to 300 days on the road giving tours and lectures," he recalled.
"He was the greatest supporter of the arts," Stangel said of the early Pope. "He's even said to have bullied Michelangelo up onto the scaffolding inside the Sistine Chapel."
Though life has now taken him to the Granite State, Stangel returns to Europe each spring and summer to lead travel groups on art history tours.
Guests on the Parisian trip will be treated to guided tours of the Louvre Museum, the Musee d'Orsay, the Cathedral of Notre-Dame and the Pere Lachaise Cemetery, while highlights of the Berlin trip will include visits to Museum Island, the Gallery of Paintings and the German Historical Museum.
"Treasures of the Vatican" will begin at 7 p.m. Admission is free, though seating is limited to the first 90 attendees. Light refreshments will be served.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Diocese of Manchester's journey of faith - 0
- Christ Church in Exeter gets grant for Cuba work - 0
- Parishioners mourn death of longtime priest at St. Hedwig in Manchester - 0
- All Saints' Episcopal picks a new rector - 0
- New rabbi joins Temple Israel of Portsmouth - 0
- Granite Staters set sights on Quebec pilgrimage - 0
- Pope begs forgiveness for 'sacrilegious cult' of Church sex abuse - 0
- Sudan releases Ibrahim, but insists she stay there - 0
- Emergency preparedness class offered for churches - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 2
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH