Home » News » Public Safety
Lesson learned: Your tongue really will stick to a flagpole
Maddie Gilmartin, 12, is recovering after her tongue got frozen to a flagpole outside her East Kingston home during Thursday night's storm (JASON SCHREIBER)
Maddie Gilmartin, 12, got an idea while she was outside playing around a flagpole.
It was only for a split-second, but that's all it took with air temperatures plummeting to near zero around the time of the incident Thursday night.
When she tried to pull her tongue off, the skin tore and her tongue began to bleed while still attached to the icy cold pole.
Her mother, Tracy, was inside the house and at one point looked out and saw her daughter around the flagpole with her arms flapping up and down, but she assumed she was just playing.
"I was trying to scream Mom, but obviously that didn't work because she didn't come. It was scary. It was cold and I didn't want anything else to freeze," said Maddie, a sixth-grader at the Cooperative Middle School in Stratham.
"I just kind of stuck it there and I thought that it would come right off," she said.
Shawn finally saw Maddie stuck to the pole when he came back up the driveway.
"We've got a child stuck to the flagpole and she's bleeding," he told her.
Tracy quickly realized the seriousness of the situation when she saw the blood.
Police Officer Garrett Almstrom arrived as the Gilmartins were trying to decide whether to pour warm water over the pole to free Maddie's tongue.
They eventually realized that warm water was the best option after Shawn received advice from others, including his sister, who works in the medical field and called an emergency room doctor.
Maddie's tongue was frozen to the flagpole for about 10 to 15 minutes before she was freed by the warm water.
She was taken to Exeter Hospital, where doctors told her that she would continue to experience some pain until it healed up on its own.
The Gilmartins said the scene from "A Christmas Story" was the first thing that came to their minds. The nurse and the emergency room doctor also mentioned the scene after she arrived at the hospital.
But there was no dare involved. Maddie's a kid who was just curious and learned the hard way.
Her parents hope other kids will realize the dangers and not make the same mistake their daughter made.
Maddie said her tongue now aches and feels like it was stung by a bee, but otherwise she's doing fine.
After they returned home from the hospital Thursday night, Maddie's father showed her the clip from the movie.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two boys rescued from Hood Pond - 1
- Woman killed in Nashua crash - 0
- Wednesday night Derry blaze under investigation - 0
- Gunfire from police range disturbs Plaistow neighbors - 1
- Cause of Ashland fire investigated - 0
- Keene mobile home destroyed by fire, two firefighters injured - 0
- Police ID man who killed himself in Manchester park - 0
- Late-night fire damages Ashland home - 0
- Gilmanton considers 'boot drive' ordinance - 0
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare residents turn out to express police department concerns - 0
- State's QBs in the spotlight - 0
- Major development approved in Merrimack - 0
- Residents in western N.Y. call snow worst in memory - 0
- With gene mutations, second breast cancer risk rises over time - 0
- In wake of beheadings, National Security Council to review U.S. hostage policy - 0
- Plaistow town planner arrested - 0
- Moreau does it all for Campbell High - 0
- Home ownership is not for everyone - 0
Obama to illegals: Come out of shadows
FEEDNH supports local nonprofits
Plaistow town planner arrested
Tamworth man struck, killed by UPS truck
Rymes works to finalize Fuller sale
Major development approved in Merrimack
King Obama: Creating a constitutional crisis
Obama to illegals: Come out of shadows
Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Will the past be prologue in the State House with 'O'Brien II?'
20141120-FairPoint warns of mobile picketing as union brings protest to customer doorsteps
Nashua man faces enhanced drug charges