Home » News » Public Safety
Lesson learned: Your tongue really will stick to a flagpole
Maddie Gilmartin, 12, got an idea while she was outside playing around a flagpole.
It was only for a split-second, but that's all it took with air temperatures plummeting to near zero around the time of the incident Thursday night.
When she tried to pull her tongue off, the skin tore and her tongue began to bleed while still attached to the icy cold pole.
Her mother, Tracy, was inside the house and at one point looked out and saw her daughter around the flagpole with her arms flapping up and down, but she assumed she was just playing.
"I was trying to scream Mom, but obviously that didn't work because she didn't come. It was scary. It was cold and I didn't want anything else to freeze," said Maddie, a sixth-grader at the Cooperative Middle School in Stratham.
"I just kind of stuck it there and I thought that it would come right off," she said.
Shawn finally saw Maddie stuck to the pole when he came back up the driveway.
"We've got a child stuck to the flagpole and she's bleeding," he told her.
Tracy quickly realized the seriousness of the situation when she saw the blood.
Police Officer Garrett Almstrom arrived as the Gilmartins were trying to decide whether to pour warm water over the pole to free Maddie's tongue.
They eventually realized that warm water was the best option after Shawn received advice from others, including his sister, who works in the medical field and called an emergency room doctor.
Maddie's tongue was frozen to the flagpole for about 10 to 15 minutes before she was freed by the warm water.
She was taken to Exeter Hospital, where doctors told her that she would continue to experience some pain until it healed up on its own.
The Gilmartins said the scene from "A Christmas Story" was the first thing that came to their minds. The nurse and the emergency room doctor also mentioned the scene after she arrived at the hospital.
But there was no dare involved. Maddie's a kid who was just curious and learned the hard way.
Her parents hope other kids will realize the dangers and not make the same mistake their daughter made.
Maddie said her tongue now aches and feels like it was stung by a bee, but otherwise she's doing fine.
After they returned home from the hospital Thursday night, Maddie's father showed her the clip from the movie.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus