Home » News » Public Safety
Attempt to thaw pipes sparks Derry fire
DERRY - A landlord attempting to thaw frozen pipes with a propane torch sparked a fire that chased two families from a century-old house on Saturday morning, authorities said.
A woman living at the house at 5 Mt. Pleasant St. who has a history of respiratory problems developed shortness of breath outside and was taken to Parkland Medical Center, according to the fire department.
The American Red Cross helped five adults and two dogs with finding a place to stay, authorities said.
It took firefighters about an hour to bring the fire, reported at 8:49 a.m., under control.
Fire damage was limited mostly to the structure itself, and residents were able to recover the majority of their belongings.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 2
- Rochester, Dover police to collect expired prescription drugs - 0
- Search for missing swimmer halted in Bristol, to continue Tuesday - 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Track Preview: Jenkins paces defending champ North - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Track Preview: McCabe, Parker lead way - 0
- Manchester DPW chief says up to 20 layoffs possible with proposed budget - 7
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: O’Neill’s injury leaves offensive void - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: No doubt about it, Fisher Cats still confident - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 2
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 0
Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior