Home » News » Public Safety
Attempt to thaw pipes sparks Derry fire
DERRY - A landlord attempting to thaw frozen pipes with a propane torch sparked a fire that chased two families from a century-old house on Saturday morning, authorities said.
A woman living at the house at 5 Mt. Pleasant St. who has a history of respiratory problems developed shortness of breath outside and was taken to Parkland Medical Center, according to the fire department.
The American Red Cross helped five adults and two dogs with finding a place to stay, authorities said.
It took firefighters about an hour to bring the fire, reported at 8:49 a.m., under control.
Fire damage was limited mostly to the structure itself, and residents were able to recover the majority of their belongings.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
- Most property owners clear hydrants of snow - 0
- Manchester man dies after being hit by car - 0
- Family, pet cats and snake escape Nottingham fire - 0
- Two officers pinpointed in Weare shooting - 0
- School bus slides off road, slams into trees in Deerfield - 0
- For Nashua student walkers, commute may soon be safer - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Hockey: Northeastern wins in OT, forces Game 3 with UNH - 0
- NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll - 0
- Pembroke voters OK clock tower face-lift - 0
- Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer - 0
- Groveton backs 'Plan B' for town office project - 0
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 0
- Obama's national security aides meet to discuss Ukraine - 0
- Radio host wants official's lawsuit dismissed - 0
- NH's representatives in Congress join opposition to painkiller Zohydro - 0
Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers
Auburn native believes in faith and fashion
NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer