Home » News » Public Safety
New Year’s Day fire destroys Canaan home
Firefighters were first called to the home just after 4 p.m. on New Year’s Day, said Canaan Fire Captain James McAlister.
The homeowners were away and the fire was reported by neighbors, he said.
“The building had already flashed over. Fire was showing through the windows when we got there. Basically the whole interior caught fire and blew the windows out,” McAlister said.
Dispatchers had alerted firefighters that the homeowners had been contacted and were not at home, so knowing no one was inside, firefighters just worked to put out the fire, he said.
Firefighters did an extensive overhaul of the house, making sure all hot spots were out. Firefighters finally cleared the scene at 9 p.m., he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- For Nashua student walkers, commute may soon be safer - 0
- Several pets succumb to fire at Farmington home Thursday - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 1
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- A second chance: Manchester hasn't won Hooksett yet - 0
- Calling Deep Throat: Where is Obama's Mark Felt? - 0
- Monarchs know there's always room for improvement - 0
- Student artwork on display in Derry for PTA's Reflections - 0
- Town, school budgets approved in Amherst - 0
- Wilton-Lyndeborough elementary school merger plan passes - 0
- Hollis voters approve all warrant articles - 0
- Div. I Girls' Basketball: Bedford advances to final with ease - 0
- Boys' Hockey: Souhegan, John Stark-Hopkinton advance in Div. III - 0
Two officers pinpointed in Weare shooting
Town, school budgets approved in Amherst
Hollis voters approve all warrant articles
Rochester firm is ready to add jobs
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run