Home » News » Public Safety
Tuckerman Ravine avalanche survivor says 'adrenaline' kept him going
Adam Herman Monday evening in Memorial Hospital in North Conway with multiple fractures. (COURTESY PHOTO)
Speaking in a telephone interview Monday evening from his bed at Memorial Hospital in North Conway following surgery on his arm, Adam Herman of Oak Bluffs, Mass., sounded grateful to be alive.
They were waiting for two other members of their hiking party — all are in their early 20s — to come back from the top and rejoin them.
"We wanted to be down before nightfall," Herman said. "We waited at the checkpoint for an hour for them. Then when we started down, we got disoriented in the snow."
"Instead of going down the trail, we took a left," Herman said.
It would be hours before the two would see the faint flashlight beam of two others who had been at the summit, and were bringing them hot fluids to drink and dry clothes.
A rescue team would reach the injured hikers, but it was 2 a.m. Sunday before everyone got down. Still not realizing the serious nature of his back injury, Herman said he slid sitting down much of the trail during the return trip. Conor Lodge, meanwhile, suffered a concussion in his fall.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
- Three-alarm fire heavily damages Franklin store - 0
- 74-year-old woman suffers serious injuries in hit-and-run incident in Windham - 0
- Grandmother charged in ATV crash with tot - 1
- ATV flips in Alton with 3-year-old on board - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
- Nabbed and then cleared by feds, NH man still intends to sell rhino trophy - 0
- Salem police target ski-jacket thief who used tree branch to hide license plate - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Nashua man accused of cutting wife’s throat committed to psychiatric hospital - 1
- Two may have stabbed each other in Concord parking garage incident, police say - 0
- Manchester joyride in a stolen truck lands two in handcuffs - 0
- High School Football Power Poll: Some shuffling in the middle - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond