Home » News » Public Safety
Tuckerman Ravine avalanche survivor says 'adrenaline' kept him going
Adam Herman Monday evening in Memorial Hospital in North Conway with multiple fractures. (COURTESY PHOTO)
Speaking in a telephone interview Monday evening from his bed at Memorial Hospital in North Conway following surgery on his arm, Adam Herman of Oak Bluffs, Mass., sounded grateful to be alive.
They were waiting for two other members of their hiking party — all are in their early 20s — to come back from the top and rejoin them.
"We wanted to be down before nightfall," Herman said. "We waited at the checkpoint for an hour for them. Then when we started down, we got disoriented in the snow."
"Instead of going down the trail, we took a left," Herman said.
It would be hours before the two would see the faint flashlight beam of two others who had been at the summit, and were bringing them hot fluids to drink and dry clothes.
A rescue team would reach the injured hikers, but it was 2 a.m. Sunday before everyone got down. Still not realizing the serious nature of his back injury, Herman said he slid sitting down much of the trail during the return trip. Conor Lodge, meanwhile, suffered a concussion in his fall.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- 2 motorcycle riders hurt in Laconia collision - 0
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH