Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Man held on $1M cash bail for allegedly beating girlfriend's infant son in Nashua
The boy, who police are not yet identifying, has been admitted to a Boston hospital and is expected to survive the beating, according to police.
City police say that Enrique Santiago, 20, of 259 Andover St., Lawrence, Mass., allegedly placed an electronic tablet similar to an iPad inside of a pillowcase and intentionally swung the case at the boy, striking the baby in the face.
"It was subsequently learned that the child had a multitude of injuries that ranged in age, to include bleeding on the brain, brain swelling, retinal bleeding, fractured ribs, as well as leg and arm fractures," police said in release issued Tuesday. "Despite these injuries, the child is recovering. He is expected to survive, but will have potentially lasting disabilities. He is currently in stable but critical condition."
The assault occurred sometime before 5 p.m. last Thursday, which is when the child's mother took the boy to a Nashua hospital. The hospital reported the injuries to authorities, which included bruising to the left side of the infant's face, ear and buttocks. Detectives were notified after an examination revealed bleeding in the infant's brain, said police.
According to police, the mother's boyfriend, Santiago, had been caring for the child earlier that day at an apartment on Arlington Street in Nashua while the mother was at work.
In addition to the attack with the pillowcase, police say that Santiago was allegedly responsible for causing other injuries to the child over the course of the last two months while the child was left in his care.
"It is alleged that Santiago assaulted the child repeatedly during that time frame by grabbing, squeezing, shaking, striking and slamming him," says the release.
Police did not say whether Santiago is the baby's father, but only identified him as the mother's boyfriend. Lt. Francis Sullivan of the Nashua Police Department was not immediately available for comment.
Santiago was arrested on Tuesday and charged with multiple counts of first-degree assault, in addition to one count of second-degree assault. He is being held on $1 million cash bail and is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday at the 9th Circuit Court, Nashua District Division.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 0
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 0
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
- Two Keene men charged with burglary and assault - 0
- Shooting victim's spouse's car being searched - 0
- Altercation leads to suspect fleeing, threatening police - 0
- Crash ends high-speed chase in Lyndeborough - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Memorial needs shootout to get by Bow - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 0
- No shortage of post-holiday shoppers at local stores - 0
- West junior advising College Board on its entrance exams - 0
- Sullivan in the top running for state's Assistant Principal of the Year - 0
- Derry making progress with efforts to honor POWS, MIAs - 0
- Lions Club blood drive draws on spirit of giving - 0
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Murder suspect fit for trial? - 2
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Murder suspect fit for trial?
Pipeline push gets a second wind
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483