Home » News » Public Safety
Friend worries for woman burned after fall
Robert Grasso, a longtime friend of Lindy Rioux, explains Monday what happened at the fire pit behind his house Saturday night when Rioux was severely burned. (HUNTER McGEE/Union Leader Correspondent)
Rioux, 53, of Derry, remained in the Intensive Care Unit of Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston Monday afternoon, according to a hospital spokesman. Her condition wasn’t available at press time.
Grasso said he left his friend to go retrieve a pair of gloves inside his house to cook hot dogs on the fire. He said he noticed his wife, Lisha and son, Devin, were watching television.
When he was walking back to the fire pit, he was shocked to hear Rioux calling for help and saw her lying in the pit, her clothes on fire.
After Rioux was pulled out of the fire, Grasso said his son Devin called 911 and Derry emergency personnel came.
Police Capt. Vern Thomas said the incident is not considered a crime and a police report wasn’t generated.
Grasso said he thinks Rioux might have been trying to warm herself by the fire when she slipped on the snow and ice and fell into the fire pit.
As he spoke, a package of hot dogs could still be seen near the fire pit, not far from an empty beer bottle. Grasso said the two friends had been drinking and consumed several drinks each over a period of several hours.
Choking back tears, Grasso said he has had trouble sleeping and can’t seem to get the incident out of his mind.
Grasso said his family members have supported him since the incident occurred.“My son said, ‘look at it this way, you saved a life.’”
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads