Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire damages Common Man restaurant in Windham
Firefighters work the backside of a building fire at the Common Man restaurant in Windham Saturday. (Mark Bolton/Union Leader)
The fire remains under investigation, but Windham Fire officials believe it resulted from an electrical problem, Chief Thomas McPherson said.
Shortly before 2 p.m., the Windham Fire Department received a call from one of the cooks at the restaurant, at 88 Range Road.
"He was preparing for the dinner shift when the kitchen filled with smoke," McPherson said.
Fire crews searched inside the building for about 25 minutes, using thermal imaging cameras.
"We didn't find anything at first," McPherson said.
Using portable fans to clear the smoke, firefighters found hidden pockets of fire in the structure's upstairs ceiling.
McPherson said the building, a restored antique barn, has many nooks and crannies in the attic, which made it hard to reach the fire from inside.
"The fire was tucked above the ceiling, above the sprinklers," McPherson said. "We're dealing with heavy old barn timbers and lots of hidden voids. We ended up having to go in through the roof."
The fire was under control within an hour. No one was injured, and all of the occupants were out of the building by the time firefighters arrived, McPherson said.
McPherson said the building sustained extensive water damage, and a large hole had to be sawed through the roof.
He said the Common Man hoped to reopen for business in the coming days.
Firefighters from Salem, Londonderry, Derry, Hudson, Hampstead and Pelham assisted at the scene, and crews from Londonderry and Nashua provided station coverage for Windham.
A crew from the Salvation Army's Northern New England Division provided water for the firefighters.
This is the second fire at the restaurant within months. In June, an electrical fire left the building with heavy smoke and water damage, though the restaurant reopened that same day.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem