Home » News » Public Safety
Two-alarm fire damages Common Man restaurant in Windham
The fire remains under investigation, but Windham Fire officials believe it resulted from an electrical problem, Chief Thomas McPherson said.
Shortly before 2 p.m., the Windham Fire Department received a call from one of the cooks at the restaurant, at 88 Range Road.
"He was preparing for the dinner shift when the kitchen filled with smoke," McPherson said.
Fire crews searched inside the building for about 25 minutes, using thermal imaging cameras.
"We didn't find anything at first," McPherson said.
Using portable fans to clear the smoke, firefighters found hidden pockets of fire in the structure's upstairs ceiling.
McPherson said the building, a restored antique barn, has many nooks and crannies in the attic, which made it hard to reach the fire from inside.
"The fire was tucked above the ceiling, above the sprinklers," McPherson said. "We're dealing with heavy old barn timbers and lots of hidden voids. We ended up having to go in through the roof."
The fire was under control within an hour. No one was injured, and all of the occupants were out of the building by the time firefighters arrived, McPherson said.
McPherson said the building sustained extensive water damage, and a large hole had to be sawed through the roof.
He said the Common Man hoped to reopen for business in the coming days.
Firefighters from Salem, Londonderry, Derry, Hudson, Hampstead and Pelham assisted at the scene, and crews from Londonderry and Nashua provided station coverage for Windham.
A crew from the Salvation Army's Northern New England Division provided water for the firefighters.
This is the second fire at the restaurant within months. In June, an electrical fire left the building with heavy smoke and water damage, though the restaurant reopened that same day.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Hockey: Teams anxious to play - 0
- Manchester Mayor Gatsas: Vote tells me Hooksett is satisfied with Manchester schools - 5
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal