Home » News » Public Safety
Fellow hikers, search teams rescue injured Conn. man
A press release from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department said that Peter Hapgood, 45, of Glastonbury, Conn., had summited the mountain and was heading down the Greenleaf Trail when he slipped and fell at around 11 a.m. Hapgood sustained injuries to his lower leg and called 911 for help.
The release said passing hikers stopped to treat his injuries and helped him get to the Appalachian Mountain Club's Greenleaf Hut, which is 2.7 miles from the trailhead.
Rescue teams took over from there, carrying Hapgood down an icy trail and to a Franconia Life Squad ambulance at 8:45 p.m. He was taken to Littleton Regional Hospital for treatment.
Crews from Pemi Valley Search and Rescue Team, Mountain Rescue Service, US Forest Service and Fish and Game conservation officers participated in the rescue.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Water main break in downtown Nashua - 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 0
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Giampetruzzi leads Trinity into D-I semis - 0
Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Turkey vultures not commonly seen in NH until fairly recently
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief