Home » News » Public Safety
Mont Vernon man to be arraigned in Amherst man's hit-and-run death
"No matter how it happened, somebody left and they left a world of turmoil behind them," Lt. Anthony Ciampoli said.
The collision occurred shortly before 1 p.m. on Merrimack Road just east of the intersection with Corduroy Road. The location is about 1 1/2 miles northwest of Souhegan Regional High School at 412 Boston Post Road in an area popular among commuters seeking shortcuts.
Police said they are withholding the victim's name until they notify all his relatives.
"He was a very well-known and well-respected individual who will get our utmost attention to solve the matter," Ciampoli said.
Police said they are looking for a vehicle that has fresh damage — most likely to the right front corner. It appears the headlight was damaged in the collision.
"First, we would love to be able to come up with the vehicle type," Ciampoli said.
So far, no witnesses have come forward.
"It would be very unlikely that the person who struck this party, that they did not know they did it," Ciampoli said.
He said police found nothing to indicate the driver's vision could have been obscured.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Water main break in downtown Nashua - 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 0
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Giampetruzzi leads Trinity into D-I semis - 0
Rondo leads Celtics past Nets
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief