All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Firefighters make quick stop in Gilford marina fire

December 24. 2013 7:44PM

Firefighters managed to stop a fire in a canvas shop at a Gilford marina from spreading beyond the area where it started late Christmas Eve afternoon.

The fire in the Silver Sands Marina broke out shortly before 4 p.m. A passerby called in the alarm on a cell phone. Firefighters arrived to find smoke in the rear of a building used for office and showroom space.

Crews got water on the fire quickly and prevented it from spreading beyond the canvas room at the Silver Sands. As a precaution, a hose was brought to the nearby Mountain View Marina, but the fire was out so quickly that the line did not need to be charged with water. Crews needed only the water carried to the fire by tank truck to

The building was unoccupied when the fire broke out, and the fire was confined to the canvas shop on the second floor of the building. The flames had started to spread to the walls and ceiling but was put out.

Gilford Fire Chief Stephen Carrier said the fact that he fire broke out right before dusk meant it was discovered before it would make much progress.

"This was a great example of early notification," said Gilford Fire Chief Stephen Carrier in a statement. "If it had been the middle of the night, nobody would have seen the fire until it was blowing out the windows."

Gilford firefighters had help from engine and ladder companies from Laconia, along with members of the Belmont and Meredith departments. Tilton-Northfield and Holderness firefighters manned the Gilford station.

The fire was of unknown origin and and investigation has been launched.

"This was a great job by the first-in crews," Carrier said. "This was a large and valuable building with valuable contents and they were able to confine the fire and extinguish it where it started."

Fires Belmont Gilford Holderness Laconia Northfield Tilton Top Section Stories

More Headlines

Mass. utility sued over gas explosions