Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Charges upheld against mother who visited breast implant website while son drowned
Jessica Botelho's 1-year-old son drowned after she allegedly left them unattended in the bathtub for more than 40 minutes on July 13, 2010.
Botelho, 26, was sentenced to 5-10 years in prison, following her convictions in Hillsborough County Superior Court on manslaughter and reckless conduct charges in March 2012.
She appealed the convictions the state's highest court, arguing primarily that the name of the website she visited should not have been admitted into evidence.
That website was "myfreeimplants.com," where people can solicit donations to support the plastic surgery procedure.
The Supreme Court, in its opinion issued Tuesday, noted that Botelho admitted visiting the site, and that the state's evidence outweighed any prejudicial effect disclosing the name of the website might have had on the jury.
"Given the strength of the State's alternative evidence, the relatively inconsequential nature of the disputed evidence, and the manner in which the State used the disputed evidence, we are persuaded, beyond a reasonable doubt, that evidence relating to myfreeimplants.com did not affect the verdict," the court noted in its opinion.
Botelho was released from prison pending the appeal.
Following the ruling Tuesday, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office arrested Botelho in Nashua without incident, and she was transported to the New Hampshire State Prison for Women in Goffstown.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 1
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 0
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
- Two Keene men charged with burglary and assault - 0
- Shooting victim's spouse's car being searched - 0
- Altercation leads to suspect fleeing, threatening police - 0
- Crash ends high-speed chase in Lyndeborough - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Memorial needs shootout to get by Bow - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 0
- No shortage of post-holiday shoppers at local stores - 0
- West junior advising College Board on its entrance exams - 0
- Sullivan in the top running for state's Assistant Principal of the Year - 0
- Derry making progress with efforts to honor POWS, MIAs - 0
- Lions Club blood drive draws on spirit of giving - 0
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Murder suspect fit for trial? - 2
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Murder suspect fit for trial?
Pipeline push gets a second wind
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483