Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Charges upheld against mother who visited breast implant website while son drowned
Jessica Botelho's 1-year-old son drowned after she allegedly left them unattended in the bathtub for more than 40 minutes on July 13, 2010.
Botelho, 26, was sentenced to 5-10 years in prison, following her convictions in Hillsborough County Superior Court on manslaughter and reckless conduct charges in March 2012.
She appealed the convictions the state's highest court, arguing primarily that the name of the website she visited should not have been admitted into evidence.
That website was "myfreeimplants.com," where people can solicit donations to support the plastic surgery procedure.
The Supreme Court, in its opinion issued Tuesday, noted that Botelho admitted visiting the site, and that the state's evidence outweighed any prejudicial effect disclosing the name of the website might have had on the jury.
"Given the strength of the State's alternative evidence, the relatively inconsequential nature of the disputed evidence, and the manner in which the State used the disputed evidence, we are persuaded, beyond a reasonable doubt, that evidence relating to myfreeimplants.com did not affect the verdict," the court noted in its opinion.
Botelho was released from prison pending the appeal.
Following the ruling Tuesday, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office arrested Botelho in Nashua without incident, and she was transported to the New Hampshire State Prison for Women in Goffstown.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hunt pair they believe attacked couple at Rochester motel - 0
- Phone evidence likely allowed in Hampstead home invasion trial - 0
- Grand jury indicts one of three men accused in murder of Madbury teen - 0
- Piano teacher wants statement tossed before sex assault trial - 0
- Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: City man charged with felony cruelty to animals - 0
- Winchester cold case murder solved; investigators say serial killer died in prison - 0
- Second bomb threat in a week at Farmington High School - 1
- Rochester teen indicted for murder of Madbury teen - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 0
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Palker hat trick paces Bedford triumph - 0
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Furious Celtics' rally falls short - 0
- Bruins stop Predators, 5-3 - 0
- Former President Bush, 90, hospitalized in Texas - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Slandering police: Racism in reverse
Police look for Laconia sub shop robber
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483