Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Charges upheld against mother who visited breast implant website while son drowned
Jessica Botelho's 1-year-old son drowned after she allegedly left them unattended in the bathtub for more than 40 minutes on July 13, 2010.
Botelho, 26, was sentenced to 5-10 years in prison, following her convictions in Hillsborough County Superior Court on manslaughter and reckless conduct charges in March 2012.
She appealed the convictions the state's highest court, arguing primarily that the name of the website she visited should not have been admitted into evidence.
That website was "myfreeimplants.com," where people can solicit donations to support the plastic surgery procedure.
The Supreme Court, in its opinion issued Tuesday, noted that Botelho admitted visiting the site, and that the state's evidence outweighed any prejudicial effect disclosing the name of the website might have had on the jury.
"Given the strength of the State's alternative evidence, the relatively inconsequential nature of the disputed evidence, and the manner in which the State used the disputed evidence, we are persuaded, beyond a reasonable doubt, that evidence relating to myfreeimplants.com did not affect the verdict," the court noted in its opinion.
Botelho was released from prison pending the appeal.
Following the ruling Tuesday, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office arrested Botelho in Nashua without incident, and she was transported to the New Hampshire State Prison for Women in Goffstown.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Driver overdosing on heroin causes crash - 0
- Deliberations begin in trial of former Derry man accused of sex assault - 0
- Mazzaglia pleads guilty to devising escape plan - 0
- Manchester pair arrested for fighting in Merrimack parking lot - 0
- Nashua man who was shot by officer sentenced to 5-10 years - 0
- Nashua man charged in child sexual assault - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Football: Bedford used pick-six to beat Central - 0
- NHIAA Football: Bishop Guertin completes miracle, makes playoffs with win over Nashua South - 0
- NHIAA Football Roundup: Souhegan closes out season with a win - 0
- NHIAA Football: Londonderry edges Salem in wild finish - 0
Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs
School's out for voters
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483