Home » Opinion » Editorials
Teens and drugs: Craving parental guidance
Keene High School has one of the highest substance abuse rates in New Hampshire. In a semester-long study, some Keene State health science majors set out to learn more about drug abuse at the school. They found, as other studies have, that parental behavior is an important factor in teen drug use. But they also found that teens want parents to guide them toward responsible decisions.
The report noted that "students stated that some parents were not being good role models. They felt parents were too lenient and needed to have 'stronger' conversations with their children about the consequences of doing drugs. Several students said they knew of parents who were abusing drugs and that it was okay, therefore, for their children to abuse drugs too."
Contrary to popular belief, kids don't really want their parents to be "cool" and tolerant of self-destructive behavior. They crave guidance and firm parenting. They understand intuitively that parents who actively guide them to the right choices are parents who care about them.
Parents, show your kids you care. It can make all the difference.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Peterborough OKs state's largest solar array project - 0
- Settlement reached between Groton Wind and state AG's office - 1
- Peterborough makes plans for state's largest solar array - 0
- Alexandria won't approve permit for wind-power developer - 0
- Windham officials to discuss development - 0
- AMC asking N.E. governors to stop Northern Pass lines - 25
- Alternative routes being laid out for gas pipeline expansion - 1
- NH gas pipeline expansion pushed - 13
- PSNH discount carries a cost: Loyal customers pay more, those who switch offered lower rate - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee