After search, veteran connects with fallen comrade's family
Lozada was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y. "We used to do that whole Red Sox/Yankees thing," Coutu remembered.
The incident haunted Coutu after he was released from active duty in 2006 and moved back to Pelham. He joined the Massachusetts National Guard, but he needed to do something more to recapture the camaraderie of his Army days. So he joined the Nam Knights motorcycle club, made up of veterans from all the recent conflicts.And on his first trip to the New Hampshire State Veterans Cemetery in 2009, he found the white marble grave of his friend and comrade, Sgt. Angelo Lozada Jr., who had moved to Nashua after high school, unbeknownst to Coutu. "All this time I'd been home, I had no idea he was this close."
On the December Saturday when the Blue Star Mothers group organizes volunteers to lay wreaths at the veterans' cemetery, they all found each other at Lozada's grave. Coutu, who now lives in Lunenburg, Mass., met his comrade's sisters, brother and three kids, who are grown now.
"I felt like I knew him," she said. "I feel like he was part of my family already."
It was the first time she'd been at the cemetery for the wreath-laying, Jimenez said, although she had always wondered who was leaving the fresh green wreaths with the red bows at her brother's grave each December.
"To know that someone we didn't even know carried my brother's name tattooed on his arm ... ."
Coutu, who is married and has two stepchildren, said the meeting "made my Christmas."
"To me, they're extended family," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 13
- PSNH discount carries a cost: Loyal customers pay more, those who switch offered lower rate - 7
- Wind company’s tower permit delayed again - 3
- Protesters decry 4.2-cent increase to statewide gas tax - 0
- New Hampshire motorists decry hike in fuel tax - 26
- UPDATED: Power restored after 2,000 customers go without in Manchester's downtown - 0
- Company behind Groton wind plant promotes emergency plan - 0
- Citizens protest Hollis pipeline as town awaits project details - 1
- Spanish explosives distributor to lease Alexandria land to wind farm developer - 2
- Boost for Northern Pass partners? - 26
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release