Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
Woman falls victim to Facebook profile 'cloning' scam
During the scam, the victim said she had two chat sessions going. One was with a supposed Facebook lottery agent who wanted a $600 electronic cash transfer before shipping $70,000 in prize money. The other was with her cloned Facebook friend, who assured her the prize was legitimate.
"If my brother called and told me I won something, I'd say, 'You're scamming me,'" said David Rienzo, a lawyer who works for the N.H. Attorney General's consumer and anti-trust division.
"The (Canadian) Mounties are great," he said. "If it's coming from Uzbekistan, we're out of luck."
• Don't accept friend requests from people you don't know; the person may end up cloning your page.
• Don't accept friend requests from people who are already your friends; they are likely sent by a clone.
• Report an imposter to Facebook.
• Beware of improper English or unusual spellings in chat conversations or emails.
According to the chat that the Raymond woman provided to the New Hampshire Union Leader, the agent took information such as her name and address. The agent asked the woman to keep the notification of the prize money secret, citing security reasons.
It's then that the woman realized she had been conned.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Supreme Court: Indigent woman entitled to state-funded services - 0
- Following drug bust, questions raised about Manchester pizza restaurant - 1
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Fathers of injured teens pleased with order sending back Coco to jail - 0
- Exeter man arraigned in pair of Portsmouth armed robberies - 0
- Pa. man will go to trial for two-state chase - 0
- Arrest made in fake Nashua bomb threat - 0
- Two of Gregory Smart's killers nearing release - 15
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges for Nashua men - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain
- Total Votes: 917