Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
Woman falls victim to Facebook profile 'cloning' scam
During the scam, the victim said she had two chat sessions going. One was with a supposed Facebook lottery agent who wanted a $600 electronic cash transfer before shipping $70,000 in prize money. The other was with her cloned Facebook friend, who assured her the prize was legitimate.
"If my brother called and told me I won something, I'd say, 'You're scamming me,'" said David Rienzo, a lawyer who works for the N.H. Attorney General's consumer and anti-trust division.
"The (Canadian) Mounties are great," he said. "If it's coming from Uzbekistan, we're out of luck."
• Don't accept friend requests from people you don't know; the person may end up cloning your page.
• Don't accept friend requests from people who are already your friends; they are likely sent by a clone.
• Report an imposter to Facebook.
• Beware of improper English or unusual spellings in chat conversations or emails.
According to the chat that the Raymond woman provided to the New Hampshire Union Leader, the agent took information such as her name and address. The agent asked the woman to keep the notification of the prize money secret, citing security reasons.
It's then that the woman realized she had been conned.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man arrested after two-state pursuit facing more charges - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks garage claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
- Second arrest made in Portsmouth store robberies - 0
- Probable cause hearings set for pair facing series of drug charges - 0
- Arrested school construction employees back at work in Unity - 0
- Dover man questioned regarding Maine double murder - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
- Total Votes: 917