Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
'Well-respected' Amherst man, 71, hit and killed while getting mail
Amherst police urge anyone with information about the vehicle type or the driver to contact them at 673-4900.
The collision occurred about 1 p.m. on Merrimack Road just east of the intersection with Corduroy Road and about 1 1/2 miles northwest of Souhegan Regional High School at 412 Boston Post Road.
"No matter how it happened, somebody left and they left a world of turmoil behind them," Lt. Anthony Ciampoli said.
Police would not release the name of the victim until all his relatives are notified.
"You will see this was a very good person. He was very well-known and well-respected individual who will get our utmost attention to solve the matter," Ciampoli said.
The victim went to Southern New Hampshire Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
"We're hoping that somebody who saw something will come forward," Ciampoli said.
Police said they are looking for a vehicle that has fresh damage — most likely to the right front corner. It appears the headlight was damaged in the collision.
The victim went to check his mailbox at the end of his driveway, Ciampoli said.
Since the victim was struck by his mailbox — which is located on the same side of the street as his house — police are working under the assumption that the vehicle was traveling toward Route 122.
The residential area is thickly settled and a popular commuter route. Given this, police said their search extends beyond area towns to all of southern New Hampshire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH had 17 homicides in 2014, down from last year - 0
- Two people hospitalized following report of stabbing, police say - 0
- Merrimack teen charged in threats, assaults on girl - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 1
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive - 3
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 1
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 1
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
- School district to receive millions withheld by state - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483