Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
'Well-respected' Amherst man, 71, hit and killed while getting mail
Amherst police urge anyone with information about the vehicle type or the driver to contact them at 673-4900.
The collision occurred about 1 p.m. on Merrimack Road just east of the intersection with Corduroy Road and about 1 1/2 miles northwest of Souhegan Regional High School at 412 Boston Post Road.
"No matter how it happened, somebody left and they left a world of turmoil behind them," Lt. Anthony Ciampoli said.
Police would not release the name of the victim until all his relatives are notified.
"You will see this was a very good person. He was very well-known and well-respected individual who will get our utmost attention to solve the matter," Ciampoli said.
The victim went to Southern New Hampshire Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
"We're hoping that somebody who saw something will come forward," Ciampoli said.
Police said they are looking for a vehicle that has fresh damage — most likely to the right front corner. It appears the headlight was damaged in the collision.
The victim went to check his mailbox at the end of his driveway, Ciampoli said.
Since the victim was struck by his mailbox — which is located on the same side of the street as his house — police are working under the assumption that the vehicle was traveling toward Route 122.
The residential area is thickly settled and a popular commuter route. Given this, police said their search extends beyond area towns to all of southern New Hampshire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say North Hampton man distributed child sex abuse images - 0
- Sexual assault charge in Keene - 0
- Keene man charged with threatening Nelson teen with gun - 0
- More details released about Nashua drive-by shooting - 0
- Portsmouth man charged with two felony drug counts - 0
- Affidavits show woman was shot as feds conducted downtown Manchester drug raid - 0
- Newton man charged with kidnapping, sexual assault of 15-year-old Mass. girl - 1
- Two felony charges for alleged Portsmouth drug dealer - 0
- Nashua man arrested in violent purse snatching - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917